Friday, March 11, 2011

mobile naptime


When I got off work at 7:15 this morning it was raining. My original plan was to head to the pool to swim laps, come home, and then go for an 8 mile run. Like planned, I swam laps and then headed home. Lucky for me, Little Man decided he was going to take a 2 1/2 hour nap, which allowed me some time to shut my eyes too. Except for the fact my daughter had other ideas about this. As I tried to squeeze in a few zzzzz's on the couch, she periodically climbed on top of me and would poke me in the eye, and then try to open my eyes. Needless to say I only got about an hour of sleep. I soon got up and brewed a pot of coffee.

As I was letting the dog out, I noticed the rain had stopped. AND...it was actually warm out! About 50 degrees!!! Mind you, this isn't terribly warm if you look at the big picture, but it DOES mean it is warm enough for me to take the munchkins along for a run!

After 10 minutes of getting changed and dancing to the Black Eyed Peas, we were ready to go. Water bottle? Check. Milk bottle for the baby? Check. Snacks for the princess? Check. IPod with only one working ear bud? Check. ( I really should get a new set of ear buds before the half marathon next weekend). Off we went!

First thing I noticed was how hard it was. Last summer I ran with the kids all the time, so it was the norm. Lately, however, I have been running sans-kids (due to the cold weather), so this was quite the change. Added up, the kids plus stroller is about 80 pounds I am pushing! 80 pounds! Talk about a killer workout!

2 miles into the run my daughter passed out cold. Sweet! Nap time on the run. Mile 3 and my son is asleep too! Now that's what you call "Mama multi-tasking!" Get in a workout while the kids nap. Fresh air does a kiddo good, I always say.

Ended up running 5 miles total. I would have loved to run further, but the whole running-on-no-sleep thing (add in a swim workout) , and the fact I was pushing 80 lbs, 5 miles was just fine.

I will go longer tomorrow. Without the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment